Straddling the line between Northern Liberties and South Kensington, this sprawling 15-acre site was home to Schmidt’s Brewery. It was once Philadelphia’s largest and most famous brewery.
Founded in 1860, the 15-acre campus shut its doors in 1987 as Philadelphia’s last remaining brewery.
In 2000, the complex was purchased and its 26 buildings demolished. Now the site of The Schmidt’s Commons, this mixed-use public space left an homage to the icon: an original wall bearing the Schmidt’s moniker.